So I am multiple days late here, for which I apologize. I HAVE been painting daily, although most of it has been for clients. I worked on a personal piece over the last few days in the evening as well, which I’m excited to share with you today!
I realized that I haven’t painted Spider-Man since well before Miles Morales was introduced in 2011 (which is crazy, because I used to paint / draw Spider-Man CONSTANTLY only a few years before that when I was still in High School).
So, I painted Miles Morales! I love his costume, after all.
It started with this 11 x 17 sketch. Simple, no background, just the linework. This is the only non- photoshop step, as I drew it in Procreate on the iPad pro.
Once I pulled him into photoshop I masked him out, and made some minor anatomical fixes while doing so (mainly the fingers that looked a little like sausages).
Once I had my layer mask in place I based him in with a dark purple that had yellow highlights. I knew I wanted him to be swinging at night, so I gave him some yellow highlights since I knew there would be buildings behind him with their lights on. To do this I used Kyle’s mixer oil brushes, and then used the Oils Smooth brush to shape him further.
I proceeded to add the webbing on his suit by grabbing Kyle’s canvas scrape impasto effect so that it appeared raised on his suit. I also recolored his fingers by selecting them, and then using Selective Color to change the purples to red, while retaining some of the yellow highlight. Although it ended up being more of an orange than a yellow, it worked out perfectly later on.
Once I began to add the lenses on his eyes, I decided that I was actually pretty unhappy with the way the webbing had turned out, so I selected it+ layer masked it on the same selective color effect that I’d used for the fingers, keeping the webbing flat and uniform… for now.
I proceeded duplicate the base layer, duplicate the hue/ saturation layer mask onto it, and merge the layers so that the webbing + fingers were on a separate layer from the purple body. I locked this layer, and continued pushing and pulling the highlight/ shadow. I also used brightness/ contrast to pop the figure some more.
Once I was satisfied, I painted the web he’s swinging from on a separate layer and modifying his placement.
Next, I got to work on the buildings. I enlarged the canvas to get my vanishing point, drew perspective lines, shrunk the canvas back to it’s original dimensions, based in the front/ sides of the buildings behind Spidey, and then made his layer group invisible for further work.
I added some texture. detail to the windows, and then proceeded to blend them together using the same smooth oil brush that I used on spidey earlier. I pushed/ pulled the highlight and shadow even further, and when I was finally pleased I used a color gradient at a low opacity on overlay to help add depth to the piece, used a canvas texture across the whole thing (it was maroon, set to soft light), and also added the canvas on an impasto effect only layer. I then selected different parts of the image and slapped impasto effect layers over them at varying opacities to add an additional sense of depth to the piece.
Here’s the final result, and underneath it is a close up of the texture.
I hope you enjoyed today’s blog!
It might be a couple of days again since I’ve got a hectic weekend ahead, but I promise I will be working on a new personal painting each day!